Today we have the following:
- Based on daily data, we have 6 Alert HQ BUY signals and 6 SELL signals
- Based on weekly data, we have 2 Alert HQ BUY signals and 58 SELL signals
- We have 60 Bollinger Band Breakouts based on daily data and 192 Breakouts based on weekly data.
- We have 860 Cash Flow Kings
- 23 Swing Signals -- 21 BUY signals and 2 SELL Signals.
- 206 Trend Leaders, all in strong up-trends according to Aroon, MACD and DMI. We have 45 stocks that are new additions to the list and 120 that fell off the previous list.
- 22 Trend Busters based on daily data. Today, every single one is a BUY signal! We also have 154 Trend Busters based on weekly data.
- 221 Gap Signals -- stocks with upside or downside gaps or gaps that have been closed. We also have 66 Gap Signals based on weekly data.
Stocks started the week with a nice rally but quickly ran out of steam. By Friday, the NASDAQ had suffered a 1% loss and, among the other major averages, the Dow was the only one to register a gain.
Tech encountered a double whammy with the semiconductor sector collecting a downgrade and Dell reporting significantly disappointing earnings. On the other hand, many retailers reported earnings and the news wasn't too bad. Economic reports were few and had little impact.
What did impact our signals at Alert HQ were the last two days of the week. Concerted selling on both days snapped the nice run of positive BUY signals. We now have a Trend Leaders list that is only one third the size it was earlier in the week. We are seeing leveraged inverse ETFs showing up as BUYs on the Trend Busters list. For those who follow our signals based on weekly data, we have a big increase SELL signals.
The takeaway is that caution is now required. Things started getting choppy during the previous week and this most recent week sees some major averages breaking below the first and weakest support level. Given the stair-step fashion in which indexes have been climbing, we can expect at least another 2% drop before stocks run into a serious support level that coincides with an important moving average. So by mid-week we should have some clues as to how serious this current decline will turn out to be.
In the meantime, keep an eye on our Swing Signals. When they turn up strongly after a downturn, that's the time to jump into the market.
Using our signals --
Visit Alert HQ to view or download your free lists of stock alerts. The alerts based on weekly data show those stocks that have exhibited some good follow-through after a recent trend reversal. If you want to be early in identifying the newest trend reversals, the lists based on daily data are for you. No matter which preference you have, there are bound to be a few stocks you will want to add to your watch list.
If you're a momentum trader, the Trend Leaders list is a good place to go shopping. If you have no faith in technical analysis, the Cash Flow Kings may be just what you are looking for. If you do favor technical analysis, check out the Trend Busters. And if you are a short-term trader or even a day trader, our Swing Signals may provide some good trading ideas. See them all at Alert HQ.
Remember, we also provide our latest updated Swing Signals, Trend Leaders, Gaps and Trend Busters on Tuesday and Thursday nights.