Today we have the following:
- Based on daily data, we have 26 Alert HQ BUY signals and 12 SELL signals
- Based on weekly data, we have no Alert HQ BUY signals and 42 SELL signals
- We have 66 Bollinger Band Breakouts based on daily data and 214 Breakouts based on weekly data.
- We have 856 Cash Flow Kings
- 27 Swing Signals -- 25 BUY signals and 2 SELL Signals.
- 282 Trend Leaders, all in strong up-trends according to Aroon, MACD and DMI. We have 36 stocks that are new additions to the list and only 37 that fell off the previous list.
- 64 Trend Busters based on daily data. Today, every single one is a BUY signal! We also have 87 Trend Busters based on weekly data.
- 250 Gap Signals -- stocks with upside or downside gaps or gaps that have been closed. We also have 69 Gap Signals based on weekly data.
All the major averages turned in gains this week. That doesn't hide the fact that bulls and bears are currently battling to see whether stocks can break to decisive new highs. The S&P 500 looks tired while the NASDAQ looks ready to push onward and upward. The Dow is also looking good while the Russell 2000, having failed to regain its 50-DMA, looks ready to capitulate. As you can see, there is little agreement between sectors, styles or investors.
That leaves us to try to read the intentions of Mr. Market from the clues provided by Alert HQ. As I have been saying all week (and last week, too) BUY signals greatly outnumber SELL signals; therefore, the primary trend is still UP. Looking for stocks that are not already at their peaks? Then the Alert HQ daily BUY signals, the Swing Trading Signals and the Trend Busters are providing plenty of candidates. This suggests that the market has room to move higher. With the Trend Leaders list holding less than 300 stocks or ETFs, we have another indicator saying that stocks still have room to run.
To give the bears their due, however, the choppy action of the last few days has definitely put a damper on our signals. The fact that, for the first time, we have absolutely no Alert HQ BUY signals based on weekly data shows that stocks could be bumping up against some serious near-term resistance.
With earnings season coming to a close, investors will need some new catalysts to justify a push to new highs, something besides a falling dollar. There have been some positive signs like M&A in the tech sector. Let's hope the coming week's retail sales and industrial production reports are equally positive.
Using our signals --
Visit Alert HQ to view or download your free lists of stock alerts. The alerts based on weekly data show those stocks that have exhibited some good follow-through after a recent trend reversal. If you want to be early in identifying the newest trend reversals, the lists based on daily data are for you. No matter which preference you have, there are bound to be a few stocks you will want to add to your watch list.
If you're a momentum trader, the Trend Leaders list is a good place to go shopping. If you have no faith in technical analysis, the Cash Flow Kings may be just what you are looking for. If you do favor technical analysis, check out the Trend Busters. And if you are a short-term trader or even a day trader, our Swing Signals may provide some good trading ideas. See them all at Alert HQ.
Remember, we also provide our latest updated Swing Signals, Trend Leaders, Gaps and Trend Busters on Tuesday and Thursday nights.