Today we have the following stock picks and signals:
- Based on daily data, we have 3 Alert HQ BUY signals and 496 SELL signals
- Based on weekly data, we have 4 Alert HQ BUY signal and 148 SELL signals
- We have 130 Bollinger Band Breakouts based on daily data and 159 Breakouts based on weekly data.
- We have 818 Cash Flow Kings
- 47 Swing Signals -- 39 BUY signals and 8 SELL Signals
- 142 Trend Leaders, all in strong up-trends according to Aroon, MACD and DMI. We have 31 stocks that are new additions to the list and 26 that fell off the previous list.
- 236 Trend Busters based on daily data of which 31 are BUY signals. We also have 476 Trend Busters based on weekly data.
- 155 Gap Signals -- stocks with upside or downside gaps or gaps that have been closed. We also have 51 Gap Signals based on weekly data.
Well, today it's losers as far as the eye can see.
Major averages declined for the third week in a row. In the first part of the week, stocks held the previous week's lows but the selling took over again on Thursday and Friday. Techs and small-caps got the worst of it as investors apparently don't believe the mostly positive guidance companies have been providing during this earnings season. Even a beat in Q4 2009 GDP couldn't fire up this market.
I have been relying on the fact that long-term trends remained up. Based on daily data, though, this weekend's Alert HQ shows dozens of sector ETFs breaking below up-trends. There appears to be no where to hide and the market's slide is taking on an ominous tone. The overall market, which I track via VTI, the Total Market VIPERS ETF, is off its 2010 peak more than 6%. It looks like we are on the way to a 10% correction.
This seems to be a good time to step aside and wait to see if this decline has run its course. If you're looking for strong stocks that are weathering this storm, however, take a look at our Trend Leaders list. Our Swing Signals list keeps offering up BUY signals as some stocks are actually benefiting from earnings reports even as the overall market sinks. Take a look today - if you have "dry powder," you may find some good candidates for when it's time to get back in this market.
Using our signals --
Visit Alert HQ to view or download your free lists of stock alerts. The alerts based on weekly data show those stocks that have exhibited some good follow-through after a recent trend reversal. If you want to be early in identifying the newest trend reversals, the lists based on daily data are for you.
If you're a momentum trader, the Trend Leaders list is a good place to go shopping. If you have no faith in technical analysis, the Cash Flow Kings may be just what you are looking for. If you practice technical analysis, check out the Trend Busters. And if you are a short-term trader or even a day trader, our Swing Signals or Gap Signals may provide some good trading ideas. See them all at Alert HQ.
Remember, we also provide our latest updated Swing Signals, Trend Leaders, Gaps and Trend Busters on Tuesday and Thursday nights.
Found a few stock picks you are interested in? If you are looking to refine your entry and exit points, you should take a look at what our friends at Hottinger's E-Zone Signals have to offer.