Each week we scan about 7300 stocks and ETFs, checking fundamentals, performing technical analysis and looking for fresh BUY and SELL signals. Out of this process we generate the following lists:
- Alert HQ stock alerts - based on a combination of proprietary and standard technical analysis techniques, we identify stocks or ETFs that are undergoing reversals, either to the upside or to the downside
- Trend Leaders - a collection of stocks in strong up-trends
- Cash Flow Kings whose free cash flow yield is 25% or greater
- Bollinger Band Breakouts - stocks or ETFs that have moved at least 3% above their upper Bollinger Band or at least 3% below their lower Bollinger Band
- Swing Signals - stocks that have bounced off a higher or lower Bollinger Band
- Trend Busters - stocks or ETFs that have violated a current trend.
All three major averages finished the week at 2009 closing highs. A big decline on Monday had the bears licking their lips but bulls came back in force and a buy-the-dip mentality started things moving to the upside again.
Economic data was mixed this week with July housing starts and building permits coming in below expectations while existing home sales beat expectations. The Philadelphia Fed actually reported a positive number which was much better than most anticipated and the Index of Leading Indicators registered improvement for the fourth week in a row.
So stocks finished the week on a high note albeit on weak volume. The uncertainty of the two previous weeks, though seemingly resolved to the upside this week, has taken a toll on many of our indicators at Alert HQ. Our list of Trend Leaders, after topping out in the 1200 range, is at an anemic 252 this weekend. To me, this means this rally has room for more gains. Furthermore, we are seeing a good deal of activity in our Swing Trading Signals where BUY signals are greatly outnumbering SELL signals and indicating stocks are bouncing back. Our Weekly Alert HQ signals are also predominately BUYs. All in all, a pretty good performance this week and I see signs the gains in stocks could continue.
This week's results --
Here is the detailed breakdown for Alert HQ for this weekend:
- Based on daily data, we have 10 Alert HQ BUY signals and 29 SELL signals
- Based on weekly data, we have 66 Alert HQ BUY signals and 17 SELL signals
- Based on daily data, we have 252 Trend Leaders. 95 new stocks joined the list since Thursday and only 11 fell off the list since Thursday.
- Based on daily data, we have 118 Bollinger Band Breakouts but we also have 323 Breakouts based on weekly data.
- We have 773 Cash Flow Kings
- Based on daily data we have 89 Swing Signals of which 80 are BUY signals and only 7 are SELL signals. In addition, we have 2 Strong BUYs.
- Finally, we have Trend Busters with 12 signals based on daily data (6 BUY signals and 6 SELL signals) and 21 based on weekly data (16 BUY signals and 5 SELL signals).
Visit Alert HQ and download your free lists of stock alerts. The alerts based on weekly data show those stocks that have exhibited some good follow-through after a recent trend reversal. If you want to be early in identifying the newest trend reversals, the lists based on daily data are for you. No matter which preference you have, there are bound to be a few stocks you will want to add to your watch list.
If you're a momentum trader, the Trend Leaders list is a good place to go shopping. If you have no faith in technical analysis, the Cash Flow Kings may be just what you are looking for. If you do favor technical analysis, check out the Trend Busters. And if you are a short-term trader or even a day trader, our Swing Signals may provide some good trading ideas. See them all at Alert HQ.
Remember, we also provide our latest updated Swing Signals, Trend Leaders and Trend Busters on Tuesday and Thursday nights.