- Alert HQ stock alerts - based on a combination of proprietary and standard technical analysis techniques, we identify stocks or ETFs that are undergoing reversals, either to the upside or to the downside
- Trend Leaders - a collection of stocks in strong up-trends
- Cash Flow Kings whose free cash flow yield is 25% or greater
- Bollinger Band Breakouts - stocks or ETFs that have moved at least 3% above their upper Bollinger Band or at least 3% below their lower Bollinger Band
- Swing Signals - stocks that have bounced off a higher or lower Bollinger Band
- Trend Busters - stocks or ETFs that have violated a current trend.
After a 7% gain in the previous week, markets, rather than take a rest, pushed on and racked up another 4% gain with small caps doing even better. There were barely any economic reports but the ones that were released helped stocks rally, especially the existing home sales report that handily beat expectations. Jobless claims were up but still below expectations. Then there were the earnings reports. There were still a good percentage of beats but there were a few that didn't measure up to investor expectations and that put a damper on tech stocks toward the end of the week.
As a result, though our signals still show a strong tendency towards bullishness, we are seeing a moderation in momentum. The Trend Leaders list seems to have hit a plateau at under 900. In our Swing Signals and Bollinger Band Breakouts lists the BUY signals overwhelmingly outnumbered the SELL signals but the absolute number of signals has not increased. Our Trend Busters list grown somewhat and they are showing a similar tilt toward bullishness.
After two weeks of earnings season, investor sentiment is still pretty positive; however, stock price gains are bringing out the bears who say the rally is exhausted, that expectations were so low it is no surprise companies are beating estimates and that earnings improvement has been due to cost cutting, not increasing revenue. Sounds like a wall of worry. Can we keep climbing it?
This week's results --
Here is the detailed breakdown for Alert HQ for this weekend:
- Based on daily data, we have 12 Alert HQ BUY signals and 4 SELL signals
- Based on weekly data, we have 5 Alert HQ BUY signals and 4 SELL signals
- Based on daily data, we have 876 Trend Leaders. 193 new stocks joined the list since Thursday and 36 fell off the list since Thursday.
- Based on daily data, we have 228 Bollinger Band Breakouts but we also have 276 Breakouts based on weekly data.
- We have 805 Cash Flow Kings
- Based on daily data we have 17 Swing Signals of which 12 are BUY signals and 5 are SELL signals. No Strong BUY signals or Strong SELL signals today
- Finally, we have Trend Busters with 28 signals based on daily data (only 4 are SELL signals) and 23 based on weekly data (17 BUY signals and 6 SELL signals).
Visit Alert HQ and download your free lists of stock alerts. The alerts based on weekly data show those stocks that have exhibited some good follow-through after a recent trend reversal. If you want to be early in identifying the newest trend reversals, the lists based on daily data are for you. No matter which preference you have, there are bound to be a few stocks you will want to add to your watch list.
If you're a momentum trader, the TrendLeaders list is a good place to go shopping. If you have no faith in technical analysis, the Cash Flow Kings may be just what you are looking for. If you do favor technical analysis, check out the Trend Busters. And if you are a short-term trader or even a day trader, our Swing Signals may provide some good trading ideas. See them all at Alert HQ.
Remember, we also provide our latest updated Swing Signals, Trend Leaders and Trend Busters on Tuesday and Thursday nights.