With the overall market plunging over 2% yesterday, I was surprised to see REIT ETFs remain firm throughout most of the day.
The two ETFs that I watch are an admittedly small sample of the REIT universe but they both acted very similarly yesterday: they were down only fractionally which was a sign of strength compared to many other market sectors. The iShares Dow Jones US Real Estate (IYR) and iShares Cohen & Steers Realty Majors (ICF) ETFs both fell less that 0.2% which means they held on to most of the gains they made on Wednesday.
Of the two REIT stocks that I watch, their performance was completely divergent. Ventas Inc. (VTR) just announced earnings that beat expectations and its stock prise actually rose over 2% yesterday. Health Care Properties (HCP) lost about 2%.
Among other well know REITs, the same divergence was observed. Duke Realty (DRE), down 3%. Boston Properties (BXP), up almost 2%. Taubman Centers (TCO), down less than 1%. Acadia Realty Trust (AKR), up almost 2%. Archstone-Smith Trust (ASN), down almost 1.5%.
The conclusion is that the picture for REITs remains cloudy. Some real estate sectors will continue to see problems such as those involved in residential real estate. The office and industrial sectors appear stronger. Still, defaults and delinquencies have been on the rise and it will be harder for REITs of any kind to grow by acquisition with liquidity contracting as it has been lately. Yields are getting better but are still not sufficient, in my mind, to cover the risk of owning these stocks at this time.
In my opinion, it is still too early to move back into REITs. But it might be a good idea to start watching them closely at this point for signs of a reversal.
Disclosure: I own no shares in the stocks or ETFs mentioned in this article
- ► 2011 (40)
- ► 2010 (189)
- ► 2009 (312)
- ► 2008 (266)
- Motorola Upgrade Questionable
- DRAM memory vendors to face tough times
- VMWare - still the center of attention
- Weekly Market Update - bulls trying for a comeback...
- Sprint - Why WiMAX?
- Unlock Stock Market Profits - Key #4
- Bank stocks may be getting ahead of themselves
- BigBand Networks - sad to say, it's fairly priced ...
- Fed saves the day, what about tomorrow?
- SmartAds should target email users
- Markets recover - is it time to celebrate yet?
- Sold Agnico-Eagle
- Dominoes falling?
- The Kids Portfolio
- Qualcomm advances on lawyer's resignation
- Qualcomm - should you buy on bad news?
- A step closer to correction
- REITs trying to establish a bottom?
- Cisco wants to be more than Cisco
- McDermott Intl earnings soar
- Unlock Stock Market Profits - Key #3
- Markets are in a correction now
- IWM not pointing the way down
- Google phone is a reality - cat's out of the bag
- Two paths to targeted marketing - Google and Yahoo...
- ▼ August (25)
|Disclaimer: This site may include market analysis. All ideas, opinions, and/or forecasts, expressed or implied herein, are for informational purposes only and should not be construed as a recommendation to invest, trade, and/or speculate in the markets. Any investments, trades, and/or speculations made in light of the ideas, opinions, and/or forecasts, expressed or implied herein, are committed at your own risk, financial or otherwise.|