Each week we scan about 7300 stocks and ETFs, checking fundamentals, performing technical analysis and looking for fresh BUY and SELL signals. Out of this process we generate the following lists:
- Alert HQ stock alerts - based on a combination of proprietary and standard technical analysis techniques, we identify stocks or ETFs that are undergoing reversals, either to the upside or to the downside
- Trend Leaders - a collection of stocks in strong up-trends
- Cash Flow Kings whose free cash flow yield is 25% or greater
- Bollinger Band Breakouts - stocks or ETFs that have moved at least 3% above their upper Bollinger Band or at least 3% below their lower Bollinger Band
- Swing Signals - stocks that have bounced off a higher or lower Bollinger Band
- Trend Busters - stocks or ETFs that have violated a current trend.
It turned out to be a lackluster week in the markets. The S&P 500 fell fractionally and the NASDAQ was up fractionally, a result of how stocks fought back to erase a big 3% drop on Monday. Economic news was not particularly positive with home sales and jobs disappointing. The week was probably saved by an upside surprise in Durable Goods and a good earnings report from Oracle.
When looking at this week's Alert HQ results, I get the feeling the market is catching its breath for another big move. We are seeing a surge in Swing Signals, the Bollinger Band Breakouts are holding steady with a bullish bias and the Trend Leaders are starting to show some improvement with very few falling off the most recent list. I'm getting the impression that maybe the widely expected correction is not yet underway. We shall see...
Here is the detailed breakdown for Alert HQ for this weekend:
- Based on daily data, we have 6 Alert HQ BUY signals and 13 SELL signals
- Based on weekly data, we have 7 Alert HQ BUY signals and 9 SELL signals
- Based on daily data, we have 146 Trend Leaders. 55 new stocks joined the list since Thursday and only 7 fell off the list since Thursday.
- Based on daily data, we have 288 Bollinger Band Breakouts but we also have 194 Breakouts based on weekly data.
- We have 816 Cash Flow Kings
- Based on daily data we have 208 Swing Signals of which 197 are BUY signals and 7 are SELL signals. In addition, there are 4 Strong BUY signals today
- Finally, we have Trend Busters with 20 signals based on daily data and 59 based on weekly data
If you're a momentum trader, the TrendLeaders list is a good place to go shopping. If you have no faith in technical analysis, the Cash Flow Kings may be just what you are looking for. If you do favor technical analysis, check out the Trend Busters. And if you are a short-term trader or even a day trader, our Swing Signals may provide some good trading ideas. See them all at Alert HQ.
Remember, we also provide our latest updated Swing Signals, Trend Leaders and Trend Busters on Tuesday and Thursday nights.