Dell reported earnings after the close today. Net income dropped 17% to $616 million in the quarter on a revenue increase of 11% to $16.4 billion.
Excluding restructuring and other charges, Dell would have earned 33 cents a share. Including the charges, per share earnings are on track to be the lowest the company has recorded since late 2006 or early 2007. And this is after the company spent over a billion dollars to buy back shares.
Yesterday, I wrote a post on the Durable Goods Report (read it here). I made the point that new orders for Computers and related products were down 10.7% in July. That was more than twice the 4.7% drop that occurred in June. Shipments for Computers were down 12.9% in July after being down almost 5% in June.
Well, we recently received earnings from Hewlett-Packard (HPQ). In the PC segment, where they compete directly with Dell, H-P turned in pretty good numbers on a 15% increase in sales.
Given the fact that H-P and Dell are the two largest U.S. PC manufacturers, if one is doing well while orders and shipments are falling, it stands to reason that the other will not be doing so well. That other one had to be Dell.
- ► 2011 (40)
- ► 2010 (189)
- ► 2009 (312)
- Free Stock Alerts - Alert HQ for Aug 29, 2008
- Dell whiffs - why it was no surprise
- ProShares Links - the list for 8-28-2008
- Durable goods report lights up Wall St - but who's...
- Cree on a roll - rising on rumors or something mor...
- S&P 500 sector analysis for Aug 22, 2008
- Weekly review - stocks hit the brakes
- Free stock alerts - Alert HQ for Aug 22, 2008
- Why H-P couldn't move the market
- ProShares ETFs - is Consumer Goods a better bet th...
- Weekly review - rally continues with focus on the ...
- Free stock alerts - Alert HQ for Aug, 15, 2008
- Is investing like dieting?
- Safe to buy the Ultra Short Financials again?
- Another slick deal for Google or Yahoo or both?
- Weekly review - after a good week, will we get fol...
- Free stock alerts - Alert HQ for August 8, 2008
- Microsoft out of ideas?
- ProShares Links - this week's list, 8-6-2008
- Semiconductor rankings out - roadmap to investment...
- Weekly review - major averages struggle, broad mar...
- Alert HQ for the week ending August 1, 2008
- ▼ August (22)
- ► 2007 (200)
|Disclaimer: This site may include market analysis. All ideas, opinions, and/or forecasts, expressed or implied herein, are for informational purposes only and should not be construed as a recommendation to invest, trade, and/or speculate in the markets. Any investments, trades, and/or speculations made in light of the ideas, opinions, and/or forecasts, expressed or implied herein, are committed at your own risk, financial or otherwise.|