I have written previously on NII Holdings (NIHD) in a post titled "NII Holdings bounces off bottom - can it keep up the momentum?" The company sells Nextel-branded cell phone service in Latin America including Brazil.
The company recently reiterated that it sees no slowdown in sales and the stock responded by continuing to climb.
In an article entitled "1.2 Billion Mobile Subscribers!", eMarketer discusses how cell phone use is growing in the BRIC countries (Brazil, Russia, India and China).
The article says that cell phones are increasingly the primary on-ramp to the Internet for users in these countries. From a marketing standpoint, the Internet companies with solid mobile offerings will benefit. Yahoo! (YHOO) has made a point of focusing on mobile perhaps even more than Google (GOOG) has. We will see the two companies continue their rivalry on cell phones and maybe there will be an opportunity for Yahoo! to gain some ground.
Getting back to NII Holdings, however, the article provides some positive macro background that supports NIHD's contention that growth remains on track. In Brazil, mobile phone penetration has reached 73% of the population but only 5.1% of mobile phone users access the Internet via their phone. This indicates plenty of room for growth, in terms of new users and especially in terms of up-selling existing users to more comprehensive service plans and higher end phones.
The outlook for NIHD remains positive and, with the stock trading just above its 200-day moving average, it may not be too late to take a position.
Sources: 1.2 Billion Mobile Subscribers!
Disclosure: author is long NIHD at time of writing
- ► 2011 (40)
- ► 2010 (189)
- ► 2009 (312)
- Alert HQ for the week ending 6-27-2008
- ProShares ETFs - why trading volume makes a diffe...
- Two ProShares inverse ETFs not yet overbought
- The Trouble with Trend Reversal Indicators, Part 2...
- Can the Saudis keep us from testing the March lows...
- ProShares ETF Report - Strongest BUY and SELL Sign...
- Alert HQ for the week ending 6-20-2008
- NII Holdings - still plenty of opportunity
- Industrial Production - tech propping up the numbe...
- S&P 500 Weekly Sector Stats, 6-13-2008
- Can stocks extend Friday's party?
- Alert HQ for the week ending 6-13-2008
- Big gap in social networking site audience
- Ocwen Financial - making the best of hard times
- S&P 500 - defensive sectors and energy lead
- Oil jumps while the stock market slides down the d...
- Alert HQ for the week ending June 6, 2008
- TradeRadar portfolio - June review
- Are semiconductor shipments a leading indicator of...
- S&P 500 - sector analysis shows more room for gain...
- Alert HQ - bonus BUY signals this week!
- ▼ June (21)
- ► 2007 (200)
|Disclaimer: This site may include market analysis. All ideas, opinions, and/or forecasts, expressed or implied herein, are for informational purposes only and should not be construed as a recommendation to invest, trade, and/or speculate in the markets. Any investments, trades, and/or speculations made in light of the ideas, opinions, and/or forecasts, expressed or implied herein, are committed at your own risk, financial or otherwise.|