This month there have been a couple of interesting reports on Internet activity.
Nielsen/NetRatings provided July Internet usage statistics. Yahoo had 110,377,000 unique visitors. This was good enough to earn the portal 2nd place just behind Google as most trafficked site owner.
Also mentioned in this report is that Yahoo users spent way more time on the Yahoo suite of web sites (almost three hours) than users did on Google's (just over one hour). What are Yahoo's users doing during this time?
The answer can be found in an article at eMarketer .com that describes the most popular subdomains within each portal. 67% of Yahoo visitors are using email. This means Yahoo is getting a ton of traffic from the best kind of visitors: the ones who are registered at the site.
It seems clear that a good way for Yahoo to increase profitability is to get SmartAds deployed on the email subdomain. User's are spending plenty of time in this area of the portal reading and writing email, not jumping off to other sites. This translates into lots of ad impressions. As returning registered users, Yahoo should have been able to collect some kind of demographic information and hopefully some data on their web habits. This seems a perfect application for SmartAds: high traffic site where Yahoo has knowledge of the user base.
- ► 2011 (40)
- ► 2010 (189)
- ► 2009 (312)
- ► 2008 (266)
- Motorola Upgrade Questionable
- DRAM memory vendors to face tough times
- VMWare - still the center of attention
- Weekly Market Update - bulls trying for a comeback...
- Sprint - Why WiMAX?
- Unlock Stock Market Profits - Key #4
- Bank stocks may be getting ahead of themselves
- BigBand Networks - sad to say, it's fairly priced ...
- Fed saves the day, what about tomorrow?
- SmartAds should target email users
- Markets recover - is it time to celebrate yet?
- Sold Agnico-Eagle
- Dominoes falling?
- The Kids Portfolio
- Qualcomm advances on lawyer's resignation
- Qualcomm - should you buy on bad news?
- A step closer to correction
- REITs trying to establish a bottom?
- Cisco wants to be more than Cisco
- McDermott Intl earnings soar
- Unlock Stock Market Profits - Key #3
- Markets are in a correction now
- IWM not pointing the way down
- Google phone is a reality - cat's out of the bag
- Two paths to targeted marketing - Google and Yahoo...
- ▼ August (25)
|Disclaimer: This site may include market analysis. All ideas, opinions, and/or forecasts, expressed or implied herein, are for informational purposes only and should not be construed as a recommendation to invest, trade, and/or speculate in the markets. Any investments, trades, and/or speculations made in light of the ideas, opinions, and/or forecasts, expressed or implied herein, are committed at your own risk, financial or otherwise.|