The iShares Russell 2000 Index ETF (IWM) is once again below its 200-day moving average. This is the sixth time this has happened since 2004. To make matters worse, there has been a TradeRadar SELL signal generated on IWM. Other major averages and their corresponding ETFs have also fallen though not quite so far.
Should we be worried?
Currently, IWM is only about 1.3% below its 200-day MA. None of the other major averages or their corresponding ETFs are below their 200-day MA. Things look shaky but we are not getting a serious bearish confirmation from the other indexes.
This looks like more of a confirmation of what some analysts have been saying: there is a rotation out of small caps and into large-caps.
There is also a greater sensitivity to risk sweeping the markets these days. Traditionally, small caps, which make up a large part of the Russell 2000, have been regarded as inherently riskier investments than their large-cap brethren.
On the plus side, earnings season is winding down and earnings weren't too bad. As usual, companies provided conservative guidance and many managed to beat expectations.
Economic news has also been reasonably encouraging except of course in the area of real estate which is pulling the financials down with it. Inflation is under control, jobs are holding up, manufacturing is OK.
I do not believe the tough times for IWM can be considered predictive for the market as whole. IWM is not pointing the way down for the rest of the market.
- ► 2011 (40)
- ► 2010 (189)
- ► 2009 (312)
- ► 2008 (266)
- Motorola Upgrade Questionable
- DRAM memory vendors to face tough times
- VMWare - still the center of attention
- Weekly Market Update - bulls trying for a comeback...
- Sprint - Why WiMAX?
- Unlock Stock Market Profits - Key #4
- Bank stocks may be getting ahead of themselves
- BigBand Networks - sad to say, it's fairly priced ...
- Fed saves the day, what about tomorrow?
- SmartAds should target email users
- Markets recover - is it time to celebrate yet?
- Sold Agnico-Eagle
- Dominoes falling?
- The Kids Portfolio
- Qualcomm advances on lawyer's resignation
- Qualcomm - should you buy on bad news?
- A step closer to correction
- REITs trying to establish a bottom?
- Cisco wants to be more than Cisco
- McDermott Intl earnings soar
- Unlock Stock Market Profits - Key #3
- Markets are in a correction now
- IWM not pointing the way down
- Google phone is a reality - cat's out of the bag
- Two paths to targeted marketing - Google and Yahoo...
- ▼ August (25)
|Disclaimer: This site may include market analysis. All ideas, opinions, and/or forecasts, expressed or implied herein, are for informational purposes only and should not be construed as a recommendation to invest, trade, and/or speculate in the markets. Any investments, trades, and/or speculations made in light of the ideas, opinions, and/or forecasts, expressed or implied herein, are committed at your own risk, financial or otherwise.|